Video Demo of the Dunk & Swish (& Flush) Method

by Maria Moser on February 16, 2011

in Cloth Diapering,Diaper Sprayers,How To/Demo

A few readers had asked for a video of my dunk and swish method.  Since I love you guys, I obliged.  I don’t like the sound of my voice, and I did my fair share of stammering since I was nervous!  My New York friend says I have an accent, but I think she’s the one with the accent, hee hee!

If your baby is breastfed (or on very few solids) there is no need to rinse the diapers first, just throw them in the wash.  I’ve heard that formula fed baby poop is the same, but I don’t have first hand experience with that.

When your baby is older, you can flip the solids into the toilet and flush; anything remaining is usually fine to go in the wash.  However, in that in-between stage (or in my case, when baby has had a lot of fruit or juice!) diapers need a little extra help.  If you don’t have a diaper sprayer, you can still dunk and swish without sticking your hands in gross water!

I almost forgot: I can’t take credit for this method, I am pretty sure it was one of my readers who suggested I try it, but I can’t for the life of me remember who!

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

1 newmama2010 February 16, 2011 at 2:07 pm

>Thanks so much for posting this!! I hate having dirty toilet water on my hands so I'll definitely be using this method! Also, I think you have an accent too but I'm from the South so just about everyone has an accent compared to my drawl :)

2 Knocked Up and Nursing February 16, 2011 at 3:28 pm

>Thanks! Great video. I've never thought to dunk diapers like that. I'll be showing this video to my husband!

3 Love You Always & Forever February 16, 2011 at 4:12 pm

>Brilliant!! Why didn't I think of that?! LOL!! Thank you!

4 Amy February 16, 2011 at 5:23 pm

>Ahh…I recently started using pockets and have wondered how the heck to rinse diapers without a sprayer. I started with hybrids (cloth) and I think they are so much easier to rinse. My little guy has a lot of food sensitivities so we deal with diarrhea quite often, and rinsing that out of a pocket diaper is not a a fun task.Also, my little guy was formula fed (due to all his allergies) and, I don't know if all formula is like this, but the formula he was on made his poop really thick and sticky. I didn't dare put the diapers in the wash without first rinsing it in the toilet.

5 Maria February 16, 2011 at 6:08 pm

>Amy, that's what I thought too, but I've heard more than one formula feeding Mom say she didn't have to rinse the diapers. I guess it depends on the baby and the formula. My son had those icky consistency diapers after we started solids and there's no way I could have thrown them right in the wash!!

6 SondraMama February 17, 2011 at 2:44 am

>i have to get my husband to stop putting that blue stuff in the toilet! every time we flush, its bright blue water.

7 Wayne, Naomi, Sydney and Elijah February 17, 2011 at 1:54 pm

>I think I can count on my hand the number of times I've been able to just "flip the solids" into the toilet! My kids just have peanut butter consistency poo nearly ALL.THE.TIME! blek.This is about the same method I use. Thanks for a video! It's kind of surprising how few super practical videos there are like this. ps…(I envy moms who can just flip it into the toilet, lol)

8 Wayne, Naomi, Sydney and Elijah February 17, 2011 at 1:55 pm

>btw, you sound normal to me! :)lol

9 Maria February 17, 2011 at 2:46 pm

>LOL, my New York friend thinks I sound "southern!"What other videos would you all like to see?